Inside the Book
Where Are They Now
- Sr. Glenda Bourgeois retired as Parish Life Coordinator at St. James Church in Decatur, and currently lives in Bloomington, Illinois.
- Rick Brummett works for a farmer, and lives in Decatur. His wife Mary, after a sudden onset of cancer, died in 2002.
- Art Dhermy is working at Staley, and lives in Decatur with his wife Linda, who retired from the bakery business and now drives a school bus.
- Mike Dulaney is a security guard and Judy works the information desk at a Decatur hospital.
- Jerry Fargusson succumbed to a rare blood disease and after two years of struggling, died in 1998. His wife Ethel lives in Decatur.
- Dike Ferris is working at Staley, and lives in Decatur with his wife Marge.
- Mike Griffin works as a millwright, often traveling long distances to find work, and lives in Decatur with his wife Jan.
- Nancy Hanna drives a school bus, and lives with her husband Bill, who works for a farmer, in southern Illinois.
- Al and Jeanette Hawkins live in Decatur, where Jeanette has worked for Catholic Charities and Al works a union job with the school system.
- Dave Hays died in 1995 from lung cancer.
- Bob Hull retired and lives with his wife Susan in Decatur and Florida.
- Gary Lamb started his own business installing gutters, and lives in Decatur with his wife Cheryl, who still works full-time at a Decatur hospital. Their son Joshua was tragically killed in a bicycle accident in 1999.
- Dan Lane has been a labor organizer in Detroit and South Bend. Dan and Donna have both remarried. Dan is living in Detroit. Donna lives in Decatur.
- Father Martin Mangan died in 2001 from colon cancer.
- Tammy McCartney works at a doctor's office, and lives thirty minutes from Decatur with her husband, also a former locked-out Staley worker.
- Lorell Patterson drove a bus for awhile, but got fired for trying to organize a union, and now drives a truck cross-country. She lives in Decatur.
- Royal Plankenhorn works a union job at the University of Illinois, and lives with his wife Rhonda in Decatur.
- Ray Rogers remains the director of Corporate Campaign Inc. in New York City.
- Dee and Rudy Scott are living in Florida.
- Dick Schable works as a sheet metal worker, and his wife Sandy completed her chiropractic degree and now has her own practice, in Bellingham, Washington.
- Larry Solomon is retired and lives near Decatur. He is very active with his church.
- Bill Strohl is retired and lives in Decatur.
- Frankie Travis got married and moved to St. Louis where he works at a union job.
- Jerry Tucker remains a full-time labor activist in St. Louis.
- Ron VanScyoc works odd jobs and lives with his wife Tonya just outside of Decatur.
- Kip Voytek lives in New York City, but no longer works for Corporate Campaign Inc.
- Dave Watts rehabs houses and lives in Decatur with his wife Pat, a full-time registered nurse.
- Bill Winter works at Staley and lives in Decatur with his wife Janet, a full-time teachers' assistant in the Decatur public schools.
- Barrie Williams works at Lowes and lives in Decatur with his wife Mary, a full-time nurse.
"One of the best accounts of a labor conflict ever written. Essential reading."
author of Strike!